Aesthetic Medicine allows aging to be addressed through the use of techniques that delay the effects of the passage of time on our image. The term “prejuvenation” is known as the trend that consists of early care to maintain a younger appearance for longer. Aging is directly related to factors such as genetics and lifestyle. In this article, we tell you some habits to stay young that will surely interest you.
What habits help you stay young?
The years pass for everyone, but there are a series of habits to take care of ourselves that will take years off us.
- Follow a balanced and healthy diet: Food is the basis for enjoying a healthy and young appearance. A balanced diet helps prevent overweight and obesity, among other diseases. The Mediterranean diet, based on a greater consumption of fruits, vegetables, and lean proteins, and low in fats and sugars, has been shown, due to its antioxidant power, to be beneficial in slowing down the aging process.
- Perform physical exercise: Incorporating some type of physical activity into our daily routine, adapted to personal characteristics, prevents overweight and obesity. In addition, exercise is associated with the production of hormones that provide a feeling of well-being, reducing stress and helping to fall asleep.
- Use sunscreen: Prolonged exposure to natural or artificial ultraviolet radiation is one of the main causes of premature aging of the skin. Ultraviolet rays damage collagen fibers and cause an abnormal production of elastin, which is reflected in atrophic and aged skin. Using sunscreen regularly is essential if we want to avoid sagging, wrinkles, and imperfections of skin pigmentation.
- No Smoking: Tobacco not only harms health, but it also has harmful effects on the skin. Smoking decreases vitamin A levels, which negatively affects the quantity and quality of collagen and elastin in the dermis. It is responsible for the dehydration of the skin, giving it a rough, brittle appearance and a pale tone, due to the lack of oxygenation of the cells. Smoking also causes the appearance of expression lines around the mouth.
- Sleep well: During the night, the production of collagen is stimulated, responsible for repairing skin cells. Therefore, sleeping well and resting directly affect the state of the skin.
What treatments help maintain healthier-looking and rejuvenated skin?
In addition to the above, we can help fight the passage of time through treatments with or without cosmetic surgery.
- Botox as an anti-wrinkle treatment: Botox is one of the most effective facial rejuvenation treatments for reducing expression wrinkles. The botulinum toxin acts by relaxing the treated muscles so that the wrinkle associated with certain facial movements stops forming. Patients who have been treated for several years appreciate that, even when Botox is no longer active, their wrinkles are less visible than when they started treatment. This is because the skin, due to the muscle relaxation effect maintained over time, regenerates itself and acquires a smoother and healthier appearance.
- Aesthetic touch-ups to maintain youthful skin: Aesthetic treatments without surgery are indicated not only to treat the signs of aging. They are also used for corrective and/or preventive purposes in young patients who present skin lesions due to overexposure to the sun, associated with acne, or the performance of certain gestures.
In this sense, skin hydration treatments with hyaluronic acid, infiltrations of plasma rich in growth factors or superficial chemical peels help maintain the vital tone and luminosity typical of a younger age.